Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome to my small corner of the intenet dedicated to a little bit of ranting, large bit of Baby D tales and a medium bit of travel musings. Have a read, leave some comments or simply close this page down and waste some time on Facebook instead!

Wednesday 10 September 2008

The Three Amigos


I hooked up with my 2 friends in Machu Picchu and we set out together to Arequipa. Arequipa is the second city of Peru and immediately struck me as being a bit better off than Cusco. We certainly contributed to the economy as we hit the markets with determination on the one free day we had. The following day, retail therapied out, we hit the Colca Canyon with equal determination. We had 3 days, one to hike down, the other to come back up and the third to get back to Arequipa. To sum it up, dusty, steep and the girls are now sharing my new found respect for the effects of altitude. (Plus respect to Joe whos planning to run the Everest marathon next year for our charity, see Brighter Futures Nepal link on RHS ---I´m just realising now exactly how crazy he is!) The price of the trek was slmost worth it for yet another crazy Peruvian bus journey. Coming back from Machu Picchu we had to swerver in and out of lines of bricks across the road, a result from earlier protests. Here we just swerved randomly, stoppped randomly, 70s disco blaring out of the banjaxed van at nightclub volume, our bums being toned by the unique combination of vibrations from a gravel road and bad suspension. I´m going to miss Peru!

No comments: