Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome to my small corner of the intenet dedicated to a little bit of ranting, large bit of Baby D tales and a medium bit of travel musings. Have a read, leave some comments or simply close this page down and waste some time on Facebook instead!

Sunday 28 September 2008

Brisbane

We’ve swapped the sea and beaches for the big smoke. I haven’t been in a big city since leaving Dublin so Brisbane feels a little strange. I have to remind myself that the cars won’t automatically stop and wave me across the road any more and everyone in the street isn’t actually staying in our hostel. We’re staying in Fortitude Valley – an area that was rough about the edges in days gone by but now is quirky and trendy in the heart of the club and gig scene. I like to think of it being akin to Stoneybatter in ten years time. Watched the Aussie Rules grand final in the afternoon. I found it hard to muster enthusiasm and my eyes were glazing over a little by halftime, either due to the afternoon beer or the incomprehensible rules. (The Hawthorn Hawks won if anyone is remotely interested.) Later we went to a club called Ric’s Bar that had local bands playing, heavily influenced by The Velvet Underground, Nirvana and somebody else…….*. The cool kids here ticked every box going: arthouse, student, goth, trendy gig heads….. and us. The DJ downstairs was mid sixties, pot bellied, with sideburns the size of footprints, playing an eclectic mix of album tracks from everyone under the sun from every decade. We ignored the fact that after him we were the next oldest people there, yet knew none of the songs he played. Upstairs the guy and gal DJ double act would have frozen over if they were any cooler and we danced to tracks ranging from Modest Mouse to Fine Young Cannibals. Got home at midnight, which was a shock to the system as recently I struggle to stay awake after 10pm. As my mother reminded me on the phone tonight I used to party more when I was backpacking ten years ago. I must be getting wiser.


*Mike wants me to say “The Fall” here but I refuse to mention them on my blog. www.visi.com/fall

3 comments:

thelostdj said...

on monday he did give in to the populist sentiment and play the beatles song 'everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey'.. surely a first in a public place since 1968!

skigirl said...

He also played Roxette "You've Got the look" !!!

Cowgirl said...

Rain and Hail today so I need an October sunshine update :)