Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome to my small corner of the intenet dedicated to a little bit of ranting, large bit of Baby D tales and a medium bit of travel musings. Have a read, leave some comments or simply close this page down and waste some time on Facebook instead!

Monday 27 October 2008

Sydney

I was a little shocked on several fronts when I got to Sydney.
1: The sight of people rushing about in suits talking on their blueberries or blackcurrants or whatever they’re called. As I sipped a leisurely coffee on Circular Quay, the Harbour Bridge and Opera House in the background, I realised I’d forgotten that most people (including myself) actually work in places other than Surf Schools and Dive Shops.
2: No one can understand me anymore. A request for a cupcake brought me a cookie and an order for a vanilla latte surprised me by resulting in a milkshake.
3: It was Cold and Wet for 2 days running. I nearly froze and was Highly Unimpressed. I may have to change my flight home from December to a warmer month, which going on the summer back home may mean I’ll have to stay here indefinitely.
The weather improved quickly though and we took advantage of the sun to get to Manly, where I want to live, and Bondi of which I’m probably the only Irish person to consider over hyped. The coastal walk out of there is great though and on Sunday part of it was devoted to the ‘Sculptures by the Sea’ exhibition that we enjoyed along with the rest of Sydney and their canine companions.
Overall Sydney has changed since I was last here: Kings Cross has been cleaned up (although I’m glad to see my Tattoo Parlour still thriving) and Newtown where I used to live has had the edges knocked off to make room for the yuppies. We managed to pick up a gig on Friday night in the ‘Metro’ (the Sydney equivalent of Vicar Street) to see a band called ‘The Drones’ the latest Aussie Next Big Thing. I was last in the ‘Metro’ in ’98 in the front row for a hot and sweaty Manic Street Preachers concert. In 2008 they discovered air con and by the end of the night I was a block of ice and wishing for my fleece. The band were ok but I was distracted by their female bassist trying to be so cool (she should have been where I was standing, she’d have been frozen) that she played with her back to the audience. (Kim Deal has a lot to answer for in my opinion.) Still was fun and waaaay better than the Ghost Gig of Byron Bay where the support was Bill Bailey on acid and the main band only played to 5 people, one of whom requested a song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anyway it’s time to leave and fond as I am of Sydney big cities are tiring and expensive and I need to get back to the little sleepy coastal villages to recharge my batteries. Onwards and downwards to the South Coast.

2 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Poor you needing to recover from all the 'Stress' of big city life.........
Watch out for the wee ghosties tonight!

Tracy and Della said...

We are right there with you regarding Bondi, Manly and air con!!